ponedeljek, 22. april 2013

THE RIVER MAN - a school play performed by Aquamobility Club



In the river Ljubljanica, in the town of Ljubljana once lived a spirit, whom they called Povodni mož/River man. At night he sometimes showed to fisherman and boatmen, in the daytime to other people, so that everyone had something to tell how he came marching out of the water and showed himself in human form. In 1547, on the first Sunday in June, the whole neighborhood gathered together according to their practice to Old Square to have a merry time. In the shade of the old linden tree the old and the young had a great old time talking and eating God’s gifts. The sounds of music invited to dance; the youth above all lifted their heels to the merry tunes.




Luka Kanc:
Look at all those ladies. They all look so pretty.
Domen Hribar:
Yes, they are wearing beautiful dresses and fine necklaces.
Kaja Rokavec:
I remember the times when we were so stupid and teased them at school. I’m sure they remember that.
Maruša Hribar:
Yes, you are right, but they also made jokes about us.
Luka Kanc:
What do you think? Shall we ask them for dance?
Domen Hribar:
I’m not sure. Look at them. They look so bold and far away.
Kaja Rokavecv:
I’m not afraid. Girls like me, even though I’m not so clever.
Maruša Hribar:
Girls usually think in one way and act the other. I can’t understand them.


Neža Lanišek:
Oh, look at all those boys. They think they are smart, but they aren’t.
Nika Sakač:
Yes, do you remember Ambrož. He always wanted to be the most intelligent, the best in everything; or as the Italians would say “numero uno”.
Eva Bajde:
Oh, girls don’t be so strict. I even liked one boy but he was so stupid not to notice that…
Jerneja
Urška:
How could you? They were so boring and childish like they are today. I wouldn’t dance with them for a thousand gold coins.
Neža Lanišek:
I wonder what they are thinking. Maybe they would like to dance with us.
Nika Sakač:
Really? Do you think they like us? We were never polite to them.
But you never know. Boys are usually unpredictable.
Eva Bajde:
It’s a pity that my teenage love isn’t here. Even nowadays I think of him.
Jerneja URŠKA:
Oh, don’t be so childish. Love is a serious thing. You shouldn’t mess it with this so called “men”.


Luka Kanc:
Look what time is it. If we want to make something from this beautiful Sunday, we ought to act immediately. I’ll ask Neža to dance with me. I’ve always loved her, but never had the courage to tell her.
GO TO NEŽA AND ASKS HER TO DANCE
Domen Hribar:
It’s easy for him to say. He has an elder sister who tells him all women’s secret. I have a younger brother who always cries and fights with me. Never mind, today is my day …
GO TO NIKA AND ASKS HER TO DANCE
Kaja Rokavec:
Oh, look at all those brave young men. Eva doesn’t recognize me. I’m the boy she loved when we were at school. I loved Urška, but now she is even worse. She is so proud and bold … Where were my eyes …
GO TO EVA AND ASKS HER TO DANCE
Maruša:
The best for the bravest. I’ll ask Urška to dance with me. She likes me for sure. I know that in my heart.
Ask Urška for a dance.
Jerneja
URŠKA:
What? Do you have anything in your brains? Do you think that I, Urška, would ever want to dance with you?  You don’t even have a castle, let alone a summer holiday home in Portorož.
Maruša:
You are right. Even my mother told me that I don’t have much in my brains and that’s why I asked you …


Sometime after a handsome and well-dressed young man appeared and it seemed as though he wished to join in the dance. Politely he greeted the company and offering a hand, which was soft and icy cold to each and every one. Then he asked Urška to dance, a pretty young women, with the reputation for recklessness and bold manners.



Luka Gradišek:
What a beautiful Sunday! I see Urška is alone again. It seems that there aren’t any men in Ljubljana who can dance with her. Except me, of course.
Jerneja:
Who’s that handsome young man? He’s a little bit pale, but it doesn’t matter. Young men usually work all day at home and they don’t have any time for outdoor activities.
Luka Gradišek:
Young lady, Urška, if I am right. Dance with me. Show other people that you can dance, dance wildly.
Jerneja:
Straight into the bulls eyes. I like direct and bold men.  





They danced wilder and wilder, in great turns they started to spin outside the dancing floor. From the linden tree they raced to Stična manor and Ljubljanica. Here the stranger leapt with Urška into the river and vanished forever.
In this powerful and chilling ballad the River Man appears as an irresistible demonic force, called forth by a girl who likes to wield power over men. The ballad was first published in 1830, in the first Slovene literary magazine Kranjska Čebelica and has become a classic of Slovene literary art.


Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar